The Psychiatric Technician/Sitter performs under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse a wide variety of patient care activities and assigned duties for the comfort and well being of patients as directed. Assists in admission of patients, takes vital signs, participates in the implementation of the multidisciplinary treatment plan.
High school diploma or GED equivalent; (transcript required; if hired).
Two years experience in healthcare related field preferred with mental healthcare giver experience preferred.
Training: Employee with necessary education or experience will be expected to exhibit reasonable proficiency within six months. AHA BLS and Secure training required within 1 mth of hire.
Phone with working voicemail required.
- Understanding the dynamics and utilizing interpersonal relationships during implementation of patient care, therapeutically assisting in creating an environment that is clean, neat and conducive to patients comfort.
- Knowledge of hospital and unit policy and procedure techniques, equipment, legal parameters.
- Safety and infection control protocols for patients, visitors, and self.
- Able to care for patients from teenage years on up at 100% competency level.
- The staff member must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on their assigned unit.
- The partner must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and process the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed by the adult or geriatric patient group.
Direct patient care:
Taking vital signs as necessary, assisting with placing patients in seclusion and restraints as indicated; assists in patient and room search; providing special patient precautions; (i.e.; 1:1, 15-minute checks for safety, seizure, elopement, etc.); assist with ECT in Operating Room; assist Activity Therapist on outings with patients. Assist with admission of patients as directed by Registered Nurse, orientating new employees to unit and procedures; providing care in accordance with unit policies and procedures; assuming additional responsibilities and duties as assigned. Actively participates in therapeutic Milieu. Maintains confidentially of all patients whether in-patients or out-patients.
Able to lift 50 pounds or more in moving and lifting patients and equipment. Standing and walking most of the time on duty. Assist with combative patients in a “Code 10" situation. Visual and auditory acuity. Verbal communication clear and understandable. Capable of working under high levels of stress. Communication skills: active and passive roles, use of verbal and non-verbal communication as a therapeutic tool.
Ability to de-escalate patients that are agitated with potential for violence. Ability
to perform a variety of activities in an atmosphere of change. Handle stressful situations calmly. Participates in the identification, stabilization and resolution of potential crisis. Must be able to identify when assistance is needed, and to secure assistance when needed. Project a positive public image to patients, family and staff.